[Image courtesy of Walt Disney, Alice in Wonderland (1951)]

“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” (p211)

Within this blog I intend to research and explore the importance of food within Victorian literature, with particular focus on Lewis Carroll's wildly famous 1865 publication, Alice in Wonderland.

Whilst Alice in Wonderland may be better known for it's vivid portrayal of adventures through the rabbit hole, food is without doubt of great importance to the narrative - often at the very heart of Alice's experiences.

My love of Alice in Wonderland stems from my childhood; fascinated by visions of the Cheshire Cat, in awe of the March Hare and captivated by the Mock Turtle's sorrowful story. This passion continued throughout my teenager years (throwing an alcohol and sandwich fueled Mad Hatter's tea party for my nineteenth birthday) and into my adulthood (a tattoo of a twisted Alice reality).

Throughout my blog I have concentrated my thoughts on the following aspects...
 
♥ Readership e.g. Who is the intended audience? How is this implied?
♥ Symbolism e.g. What is the food's impact on the narrative or recipe? What does it represent?
♥ Context e.g. Does the food in question have a cultural or historical significance?

Unless stated otherwise, all quotes within the blog are taken from the following text -
 Carroll, Lewis. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. London: Wordsworth Editions, 2001.